BENEFITS OF LAWN FERTILIZATION
A healthy lawn isn’t only a mowed lawn. In order to have a lawn that is the envy of the neighborhood, fertilizer is really important. As often as we hear people say that they want to do it themselves, a lot of people get overwhelmed at all the intricacies of properly fertilizing their lawn. That’s where we come in.
Our team of professionals know what to watch for when it comes to threats to your healthy lawn such as certain environmental conditions, insects, soil moisture, diseases, and weeds and can treat accordingly. Most soils don’t have sufficient nutrients which means your lawn needs an extra health to get vibrant and stay vibrant.
With proper fertilization, your lawn will thrive and you can experience these benefits:
- Healthier Growth – When grass is growing regularly, it will help with both grass density and tolerance for environmental stressors.
- Higher Density – When your grass is a healthy density, it will help to control weeds since there will no longer be room for them to grow and take root.
- Environmental Stressor Resistance – Just like when you are healthier and your body can fight off illnesses more easily, your lawn does the same thing. When it has the nutrients that it needs, it is less likely to succumb to the stressors that plague other lawns.
- Less Recovery Time When Damaged – Again, when your lawn has the proper nutrients that it needs, if something does happen to damage it, it will bounce back much quicker when properly fertilized.
- Lower Environmental Temperatures – Have you ever noticed that when you set in a lush green yard that it seems nice and cool? A surprising perk to a well fertilized lawn is a lower ambient temperature.
Last, but not least, is the most sought after and most noticeable benefit:
- Lush, Vibrant Green Color – This is the first thing that is noticed when you have a healthy lawn and the thing that people think of most often when you mention lawn fertilization. Fun fact, nitrogen is the nutrient that helps the lawn have that lush green hue. Together with proper moisture levels, they give your lawn that “make your neighbors jealous” hue.
WHAT IS THE BEST lAWN FERTILIZER SCHEDULE?
Early Spring: Who invited the crabgrass to stay? Pre-emergent weed and crabgrass control to provide season long control of crabgrass. Also includes slow release fertilizer to promote early color and growth.
Late Spring: Start your spring without the weeds! With another dose of crabgrass preventative, this application adds broadleaf weed control to knock clover and dandelions dead! With slow release fertilizer to promote grass hardiness, rich nitrogen storage for the months ahead, and fertilizers to give the ability to rebound from stress.
Early Summer: We know you like dark green grass! Slow release fertilizer to promote grass hardiness, rich nitrogen storage for the months ahead, fertilizers to give the ability to rebound from stress, and we will also spot treat as necessary.
Late Summer: The weeds want to come back but we won’t let them! Our specialists will scout for new, warm season weeds that have emerged and spot treat them. We will also provide summer heat stress protection with broad leaf weed control. (Optional Grub/Insect Control or Sedge Grass Control).
Fall: Cool nights encourage new weeds, we get to the root of that problem! A fertilizer to restore nutrients and encourage new root growth. Cool season weeds want to work their way in, which our specialists will treat.
Winter: It’s not over yet! Winterization fertilizer that is specially blended to promote fall root development helps roots store water and food for winter survival and strong root development the following year.
*The best defense against weeds and disease is a thick, healthy green lawn!*
(General Description: may not apply to your site exactly as stated – Grub and Insect Control also available and may be recommended depending on your Site Analysis)
Professional Lawn CARE VS. DIY Lawn Fertilization
With all the options in the local home and garden stores, it’s easy to be tempted to fertilize your lawn yourself. The advertisements for those fertilizers make it look easy, right? While you may have some results from tearing open a bag of any old fertilizer and spreading it around your yard, it probably won’t be very consistent. There’s actually a lot of science that goes into a professional lawn fertilization schedule and it’s probably best to leave that science to a professional.
Additionally, the amount of time, effort, and even cost you can save by hiring a professional company can often outweigh the “savings” of doing it yourself.
- Time: According to the American Time Use Survey, Americans (on average) spend about 70 hours per year on lawn care. We’re not sure about your life but that extra 70 hours could be used very well with your family, your friends, your hobbies, and, well, really anything but maintaining your lawn.
- Effort: Above and beyond the time spent is the effort that it takes to know and understand the needs of your lawn. Without the background education that a professional has, there will be extra effort in research and going to the store to get the fertilizer itself. A company that has the experience in professional lawn fertilization services will know what to look for in a distressed lawn, what fertilizer to use, how to properly apply and when to apply it based on where you live, this time of year’s climate, and the type of soil in your yard.
- Cost: The average fertilizer bag costs between $40 and $60. If you purchase the wrong kind and have to repurchase a different formula, you will eat that cost. Additionally, heaven forbid, you use one that damages your lawn further then it will cost even more to bring it back to its original state only to have to spend more to make it healthier again. A professional lawn company will know exactly what to do to make your lawn its healthiest and will do it right the first time. Additionally, the average cost for a professional company to fertilize your lawn is about the price of a bag of name-brand fertilizer. We use a higher grade and better quality of chemicals, which we buy in bulk for the cost savings, and can pass those savings on to you INCLUDING our professional knowledge and labor at one fixed cost with your contract.
To help your lawn reach its fullest potential, a professional lawn company will put the research, knowledge, and years of experience behind these components of proper fertilization:
- Proper Scheduling: As mentioned above, we have a set schedule that has a history of success to back it up. We take into account the “nitrogen release rate”, use controlled-release fertilizers to provide a steady, controlled release after the initial quick-release of nitrogen to quickly “green up” your yard. This controlled release gradually balances the nutrients over the soil for a period of approximately 8 weeks thus leaving a consistent and constant supply of nitrogen and nutrients for the grass.
- Proper Ingredients: There are a variety of mixtures and a professional lawn company knows how to properly select the mix that is best for your lawn. There are three major nutrients in fertilizer (nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium) and each play an important role in a lush and healthy lawn.
- Nitrogen – like mentioned before, this is what makes the grass appear lush and green
- Phosphorus – for root grown stimulation
- Potassium – for increased tolerance of disease and drought
Unlike when doing it yourself, hiring a professional lawn service comes with a satisfaction guarantee. We provide the service and, if it’s not right, we will fix it. That doesn’t happen with your local home and garden store because when you buy the fertilizer, you’re taking the accountability that it’s going to work.
Like with anything, you have to weigh the benefits, the risks, and the cost of doing it yourself vs hiring a professional lawn service company. You know which side of the scale that we’re on but really, just ask yourself this:
Would you rather: a) spend your weekends fertilizing and working on your lawn or b) hire a professional and spend your time doing what matters most, spending time with your friends and family?
TO GET A CUSTOMIZED LAWN CARE PLAN OR TO LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR LAWN FERTILIZER SERVICES, CALL US AT 618-307-6677 OR CHAT WITH US TODAY USING THE BUTTON IN THE LOWER RIGHT HAND CORNER OF THE SCREEN.